Friday, March 9, 2012

Paid Artist or Not

Being an artist is the easy part. Being a paid artist is where it becomes difficult. I have yet to become one...or have I. One of my very best friends has a happy little Heather Hubb art corner in her kitchen. She says I can sell any of them at any time (and I wouldnt dare) except one. Sunflower Americana sits in her kitchen, above her cookbooks. The colors are perfect! It truly belongs there, almost like its been there since her house was built and not the year since I've painted it. Today she forced money on me....and yes forced is the correct word. So what am I complaining about. Technically I've acquired my goal. Here's the dilema: the painting was always hers and I never expected money. OFCOURSE I'm grateful and eager to step into the paid artist category but did I really earn it. Is it the same as a stranger coming across something I've done,after looking at all the amazing artist that inhabit this website and saying "I must have it!"? Or am I just being ridiculous? Probably. In truth I'm probably going to spend the money taking us to taco bell...several times.

3 comments:

  1. Just because I THREW it at you before speeding out of your driveway doesn't mean I FORCED it on you, lol.

    I would have paid more at Target for something mass-produced rather than painted beautifully amongst chaos, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Mario! How awesomely fantastic are you? Thank you so much. It's beyond spectacular. YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife is into wood carving and pyrography, and she feels the same way about her art. No matter how many times people she knows rave about it, she's not convinced it's worth trying to sell. I think the only way to find out is to try and sell it--and I think she ought to start with really high prices so people know it's "real" art. But that has its own set of issues.

    ReplyDelete